Satisfy your appetite with new menu items!
10/9/2012 - Fans who pour into the Huntington Center all fall and winter long are looking for fun, entertainment, action, camaraderie, a beer or two, lots of Walleye goals and a rip-roaring good time!
And they’re looking for food.
Food is an essential part of any Walleye excursion, and at the Huntington Center, the choices are dizzying. Hungry moms, dads, and kids can gorge themselves on everything from chili dogs and rib tips to funnel cakes and sundaes.
This season the menu just got longer, with the addition of more than a dozen new offerings at the rink’s 18 food and beverage stations.
“Food plays a significant role in the hockey experience at the Huntington Center,” said Scott M. Fuernstein, general manager of food and beverages at both the Huntington and the Seagate Convention Centre.
“The experience at a Walleye game starts when you buy the ticket, enter the door, and head to the food station. We are very focused on the quality of the food. It absolutely makes a difference.”
Fuernstein, who has been in the food and beverage business for 22 years, said the food at the nine primary stations over the last three seasons is always available – sandwiches, sides, popcorn and soft pretzels, barbecue, sweet treats, and the like.
Another menu staple, located at the Riverside Grill, is the signature Walleye fish sandwich, one of the center’s best sellers for obvious reasons. According to Fuernstein, the fresh-water walleye is bought locally and lightly breaded and fried in-house.
But the new offerings look just as mouth-watering. For example, this season the chefs have come up with homemade white cheddar macaroni and cheese with a crunchy au gratin crust.
The casserole can be ordered plain, but a better bet might be to top the pasta with a variety of create-your-own possibilities: bacon, caramelized onions, Italian sausage, peppers and onions, chives, bleu cheese, and barbecue pulled pork. The barbecue offerings come from the grill of James McDay, owner of We Be Ribs.
New chicken items are wings, boneless or not, with a variety of sauces; and three kinds of boneless chicken wraps with hockey names -- “Winger” (deep-fried with lettuce, tomato, and shredded cheese); “Full Strength” (buffalo-style tossed in hot sauce with lettuce, tomato, and ranch dressing), and “Cross-Chick” (deep-fried with honey mustard, crumbled bacon, and shredded mozzarella,
lettuce, and tomato).Also new are a Canadian Burger, a third of a pound Angus burger with Canadian bacon, lettuce, tomato, chevre cheese, and whole grain mustard, and a Philly cheesesteak sandwich.
Club-level seat holders are in for a special surprise – herb-crusted roast beef, roasted turkey, warm pastrami, and beef brisket sandwiches with fresh herbs, carved tableside by the chef.
Among the desserts, it’s hard to top a concoction dreamed up by Jon Drake, a food and beverage manager. It’s called a “Fun-Dae,” a funnel cake topped with soft-serve ice cream, hot fudge, chopped peanuts, whipped cream, and sprinkles.
Rounding out the treats are a S’more Sundae – vanilla soft-serve ice cream, graham cracker, and hot fudge with marshmallow topping, and a Chocolate “Heath Bar” Sundae – soft-serve ice cream, caramel, and whipped cream topped with crumbled Heath bars. Have fun picking a favorite and then tell us about it. Go to facebook.com/walleye.
New Menu Items
The Toledo Walleye and AVI are proud to announce many new, exciting menu selections
available this fall season. Look for these selections in the dining stations:
• White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese – Keep it simple or customize your dish with a variety of toppings such as bacon, caramelized onions, Italian sausage, peppers and onions, chives, bleu cheese and barbeque pulled pork. Available at Swamp Dogs Grille in Sec. 108.
• Signature Chicken Wings –Lightly breaded boneless wings tossed with your favorite wing sauce: barbeque, buffalo, teriyaki or sweet and sour. Available at Swamp Dogs Grille in Sec. 108.
• Boneless Chicken Wraps
o Winger – Deep fried chicken with fresh lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese and mayonnaise
o Full Strength – Buffalo style chicken tossed in hot sauce with lettuce, tomato and ranch dressing
o Cross “Chick” – Deep fried chicken with crumbled bacon, shredded mozzarella cheese, lettuce, tomato with honey mustard. All wraps are available at Swamp Dogs Grille in Sec. 108.
• The Canadian Burger – 1/3 lb Angus burger topped with Canadian bacon, lettuce, tomato, chevre cheese, garlic aioli and whole grain mustard. Available at Frogtown Burger Co. in Sec. 102.
• “Fun-Dae” – Funnel cake topped with soft serve ice cream, hot fudge, chopped peanuts, whipped cream and sprinkles. Available at T-Town Treats in Sec. 119.
• S’more Sundae – A delectable combination of vanilla soft serve ice cream, graham cracker, hot fudge and marshmallow topping. Available at T-Town Treats in Sec. 119.
• Chocolate Heath Bar Sundae – A delectable combination of chocolate soft serve ice cream, caramel and whipped cream topped with crumbled Heath bars. Available at T-Town Treats in Sec. 119.
• Chef Carved Sandwiches – Featuring a daily selection of fresh roasted carved meats such as herb crusted roast beef, roasted turkey, warm pastrami and beef brisket. Served with your choice of cole slaw or red potato salad and a dinner roll. Available on the Club Level.
In the suites, new selections include:
• Stuffed Hungarian Peppers – Fresh Hungarian peppers stuffed with SofoTM Italian Sausage topped with marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese
• Warm Apple Crisp – Warm Granny Smith Apples topped with crunchy oatmeal crumb topping
• White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese – Homemade macaroni and cheese accompanied with bleu cheese crumbles, crispy bacon, caramelized onions, sun dried cranberries, tomatoes, shredded cheese and fresh chives
AVI Foodsystems has long been a strong, successful, family-owned business. Founded in 1960 by John Payiavlas, AVI has an industry-leading reputation for providing customized hospitality and foodservice solutions for thousands of clients and millions of customers throughout 31 states. AVI offers hospitality services in business, manufacturing, education, leisure and healthcare settings, including a complete offering of on-site dining, vending, catering, concessions, office coffee and environmental services.