March 9, 2018
First place Walleye blank Mallards
(Toledo, OH) – The Walleye shut out the Mallards 8-0 on Friday night in Toledo. Mike Borkowski and Austen Brassard each scored twice, and Pat Nagle stopped all 17 shots faced to improve to 29-4-3-1 on the season. The win gave Nagle his third shutout of the season. The Walleye are 41-14-3-2 on the season and 25-4-1-0 at home.
Shane Berschbach sent a pass across to Mike Borkowski who then snuck the puck behind Mallards goaltender, Eric Hartzell, on the power play to make it 1-0 Walleye at 9:55 of the first period. Zach Nastasiuk would fire his shot past Hartzell for a 2-0 lead at 17:11 of the frame.
Borkowski scored his second of the game at 3:06 of the second period to make it 3-0. Austen Brassard found the back of the net just 30 seconds later to improve the Walleye lead 4-0. Brassard’s slap shot that made it past Hartzell at 9:51 extended the lead to 5-0.
In the third period, Colin Jacobs found the back of the net at 2:28 on a rebound to make it 6-0. Kyle Bonis jumped in on the fun by making it 7-0 at 4:21 of the third. AJ Jenks sent a pass back towards Berschbach, who went top-shelf at 15:57 to give the final score of 8-0.
Head coach Dan Watson said the game was impressive for his team. “Despite a slow start, once we got going, we stuck to our systems and details and dominated through the rest of the game.”
- The Walleye are home on Saturday for a 7:15 p.m. puck drop against Quad City and Sunday for a 5:15 p.m. puck drop against Indy.
- Nagle stopped all 17 shots faced and is now 29-4-3-1 on the season. He is 11-0-2 in his past 13 games. The shutout was good for Nagle’s third shutout of the season.
- Simon Denis is on a seven-game point streak with 11 points (1G, 10A).
- Shane Berschbach has 11 points in eight of his last nine games.
- The eight goals scored tonight was a season-high for the Walleye.
- Tonight was our 189th win combined over the last four years, which is an ECHL record.