February 27, 2018
First place Walleye hold off Fuel
(Indianapolis, IN) – The Walleye defeated the Fuel 4-3 on Tuesday night in Indy. Pat Nagle stopped 27 of 30 shots and is now 27-4-2-1 on the season. Nagle broke the record of consecutive wins for a Walleye goaltender with the win, which was his ninth straight. The Walleye are 38-14-2-2 on the season and 15-10-2-2 on the road.
AJ Jenks struck just 2:56 into the first period to put the Walleye up 1-0. Kyle Bonis sent a pass across to Shane Berschbach, who slammed the puck past Fuel goaltender, Matt Tomkins, on the power play to make it 2-0 Walleye at 5:26 of the opening frame. Indy would cut the Walleye lead to 2-1 with a deflected shot that beat Nagle at 11:41 of the frame. Simon Denis set up Dylan Sadowy, who found the back of the net with a wrist shot on the power play at 16:12 to extend the lead to 3-1.
The Fuel would cut the lead to 3-2 with a backhand shot at 17:05 of the second period.
Indy tied the game 3-3 with a power play goal at 3:58 of the third period. Bonis tipped the puck behind Tomkins at 15:10 of the final frame to give the Walleye the final score of 4-3.
- The Walleye are home Friday and Saturday night for a 7:15 p.m. puck drop against South Carolina before heading to Brampton for a 2:00 p.m. puck drop on Sunday.
- Nagle stopped 27 of 30 shots and is now 27-4-2-1 on the season. He broke the record previously set by both Cal Heeter and Jake Paterson of eight straight victories with his ninth consecutive win.
- Dylan Sadowy has scored in five straight games and has ten points in his last eight games.
- The Walleye finish the month of February with a 10-2-0 record.
- The Walleye are 21-1-1 all-time vs. Indy.