April 28, 2018
Walleye fall to Komets in Game One of Central Division Finals
(Toledo, OH) – AJ Jenks scored twice, but the Walleye fell to the Komets 5-3 on Saturday night in Toledo. Pat Nagle stopped 31 of 36 shots and is 4-1-0 in the postseason. The Walleye trail the best of seven series one games to none.
AJ Jenks (2nd) tipped the shot from Simon Denis past Komets goaltender, Michael Houser, at 6:08 of the first period on the power play to put the Walleye up 1-0. Fort Wayne would tie the game 1-1 with a shot that beat Nagle at the 9:00 mark of the frame. Jenks (3rd) scored his second of the game when the shot of Denis deflected off his stick and into the back of the net on the power play at 19:14 to make it 2-1 Walleye.
Patrick McCarron (1st) would find the back of the net at 2:01 of the second period to extend the Walleye lead to 3-1. The Komets would respond with two goals in a span of 1:54 to tie the game up 3-3 by 5:15 of the frame. The Komets would take a 4-3 lead at the 15:00 mark.
The Komets would score at 9:36 of the third period to give the final score of 5-3.
Coach Watson considered the loss a momentum game. “This is just one of those things,” Watson said. “We’re in this series and we have to take care of the puck. We made tonight easy for Fort Wayne.”
- Game 2 is set for Sunday evening with a 5:15 p.m. puck drop in Toledo. Game 3 is set for Wednesday night at 7:35 p.m. puck drop in Fort Wayne.
- Nagle stopped 31 of 36 shots and is 4-1-0 in the postseason.
- Tyler Barnes (1G, 7A) and Kyle Bonis (3G, 5A) lead the Walleye with eight points in five postseason games played.
- Christian Hilbrich leads the Walleye with five goals in five postseason games played.
- Toledo finished 2/3 on the power play and killed off two Komets power plays.