March 4, 2018
Walleye pick up shootout victory over Beast
(Brampton, ON) – The Walleye defeated the Beast 2-1 in a shooutout on Sunday afternoon in Brampton. AJ Jenks scored the shootout winner and Angus Redmond stopped 38 of 39 shots and is now 3-8-2-1 on the season. The win helps Redmond earn his first victory as a Walleye. The Walleye are 40-14-3-2 on the season and 16-10-2-2 on the road.
The Beast would take a 1-0 lead at 5:43 of the first period with a shot that snuck past Redmond. Simon Denis sent a pass up to Mike Borkowski, who then fired a perfect wrist shot to tie the game 1-1 at the 18-minute mark of the first.
The Walleye offense started rolling in the third period, where they’d put up 13 shots, that would all be stopped by Beast goaltender, Chris Driedger.
AJ Jenks scored the only goal in the shootout going five-hole on Driedger to seal the 2-1 victory. Redmond stopped all three shots he faced in the shootout.
Assistant coach, Andy Delmore said he was proud of how the team played today. "Today's game was a full-out grind," said Delmore. "We told our guys good teams find a way to win, and I thought we did a good job doing that."
- The Walleye are home on Friday and Saturday for 7:15 p.m. puck drops against the Mallards and Sunday for a 5:15 p.m. puck drop against the Fuel.
- Redmond stopped 38 of 39 shots and is now 3-8-2-1 on the season. This is Redmond's first victory as a Walleye.
- Simon Denis has nine points in his past six games.
- Erik Bradford and Dylan Sadowy lead the team with five points each vs. the Beast this season.
- The Walleye are 25-4-2 all-time vs. Brampton.